Recipes

Translate

Wednesday 12 October 2022

Thanksgiving

    Better late than never - it was a busy weekend.  I spent Sunday with the family. Judy and Dave cooked the turkey and all the trimmings - they do it in the barbecue and it always comes out tender and juicy. Elliot made a pumpkin pie. The previous week they had attended Markham Fall Fair and all had things entered in various categories. Elliot got 1st place for a photo he submitted, Natalie got 1st for a poster (she said she thought she won because no one else entered) and Judy got several prizes as well as "Best in Show" for her marmalade. I must get her to share her recipe with me!

   Monday, which was the actual holiday, we had a social at the tennis club. It was a bit on the cool side but a few brave souls came out to play. I had on 4 layers but gradually stripped some off as I warmed up. More people turned up for lunch which was "Pot Luck" and reflected our wide variety of heritages. I was very conservative and brought ham sandwiches but there were Chinese dumplings, samosas, spinakopita curry stew and chili as well as salads. I went home stuffed and had to take home some dessert for later! That tennis club is now closed as it switches to a winter club with the courts covered with a "bubble". My other club is still going so, hopefully, there will be a few more nice days.

   This week has been advanced voting for the Municipal Elections. I went to the Senior's Centre even though the classes were cancelled as it is a polling station, but it was quite busy with people coming and going. In fact I probably sold more coffee and pies than usual!

6 comments:

  1. I am intrigued at the bubble over the tennis courts. I guess it makes sense seeing as you get snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's kept inflated with air. Unfortunately it's much more expensive to join than summer clubs. Then you pay again each time you book a court.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had such a lovely weekend although cooking a turkey on the barbecue intrigues me - how long does it take? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several hours I think. I've never tried it myself.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely send off of the season at the tennis club. Thanksgiving weekend in this region was lovely weather which made the after dinner walk quite enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They had another feast on the next day with leftovers from the Pot Luck. Cleaning out the club house fridge for the winter members.

    ReplyDelete