Recipes

Translate

Tuesday 15 August 2017

The Tomato Saga Continues

   I made tomato soup this afternoon, using 8 humungous tomatoes, but there are still 4 in the bowl in the kitchen for eating and another half dozen still on the vine but ready for picking. Next will probably be a tomato sauce for the freezer. I am open to suggestions on other inventive ways to deal with the glut. I can't think why I have so many (and such big ones) this year except that I removed some of the outer leaves on the plants just as the fruit was beginning to form.

   Last year I ate tomato bruschetta almost every day for lunch or a snack during the glut but this year I am trying to avoid bread so that's out. I do love a tomato and basil sandwich but there's the bread again! I put a ton of basil in the soup, really stripped the plant, so I hope it produces some more.

   Tennis this morning although the courts were wet at first. We were slipping and sliding for the first half hour. But then the sun came out and it turned into a perfect morning. We stopped at 11:30 for brunch (Jasmin's catering again) to celebrate some more 80 year olds birthdays. So, of course, there was cake! She really loves to spoil us.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I have tomato envy as mine did not do well this year. Caprese salad (tomato, soft mozzarella, olive oil, basil) is heavenly when tomatoes are in season. I just can tomatoes, not even sauce, just seeded tomatoes. Also, you can just take off the stem section and freeze them in freezer bags to use in soup, stew, chili, sauce, whatever. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great suggestions Jenn. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete